Thursday, September 17, 2009

Highlights of the Past Few Days

  • Caleb ate a grasshopper. So. Gross. But, I figured people eat them all the time, chocolate-covered and whatnot, so I didn't bother to fish it out of his mouth. It still makes me shudder.
  • Looking at photos of our family. Caleb misses his Daddy, for sure. He's been sitting in front of the refrigerator, reaching for the pictures of him and Eric. And on the photo mobile in his room, he waves and says, "Daddy, hi!" or, "Daddy, bye!" when it's time for bed. So precious.
  • Playing cars, making car sounds. Our bodies have become the roads, and this makes Caleb laugh hard. We've been having a ton of fun with that game.
  • Caleb is putting together puzzles all by himself! Last week he could get two or three pieces together; this week he's conquering the whole thing! Sometimes he gets frustrated when he can't turn the piece to fit just right, but usually he figures it out without my help anymore.
  • Bible Study started back up on Tuesday. We're doing a book study on Why Not Women by Loren and Cunningham. I'm loving it so far. I'm so excited to get to know all the new women in the group. I've been craving this all summer. When I picked Caleb up from Mom's house (she babysat), he was asleep in bed with her. Mom and I talked for a while, then when I gathered up my little boy, he woke up and sleepily said, "Hi," and gave me a big hug, and touched his fingers to my lips and cheek. It was one of the most beautiful moments I've ever had with him. Incredibly sweet, incredibly precious. My heart soared.
  • Last night my modern dance class started up again too. Last fall I started taking a beginning modern class, and now our fantastic teacher has opened an advanced class for us. I don't consider myself advanced at all, but it's great to progress in what we learned last year, and through the summer. This class had a major part in pulling me out of my depression. The benefit of doing something I love again, and having that time to be out of the house and without worry is priceless. I'm so thankful Eric encourages me to continue.
  • Yesterday I read a gem of a book called My French Whore by Gene Wilder, the actor. It was simply written, short, but a beautiful story during WWI. I highly recommend it.
  • I need to take a break from heart-breaking movies. Slumdog Millionaire last night, American History X today (during Caleb's nap). Both were beautifully done, and so thought-provoking, but too much for me to handle. I don't think I could watch Slumdog again. I cried through the whole thing, shaking during the violent parts. My heart broke, knowing these things are not exaggerations or fiction; these things happen every day to living, breathing children. It is so difficult for me to accept this. It reminded me so much of The Kite Runner; wonderfully written book, but too heavy for my sensitive heart to handle. Edward Norton, as always, was stunning in his portrayal of a white supremacist. I had to close my eyes during several of the violent parts though. Not pictures I want in my head, for sure. I fell asleep watching Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. I am so in love with this. I'll probably watch it again tonight. Either that or Glee.
  • So tonight, to relax my mind and take a step back from all the heavy material I've been exposing myself to, I watched The Office. Not as funny as the second or third seasons, but still pretty good. Then I drew myself a hot bath, poured a tall glass of Ste Chapelle Soft Red, and read Gossip Girl in the bath for an hour. It was glorious. So relaxing, and felt wonderful on my achy muscles (the month-long break from dance made me lazy).
  • The best part of today was when Eric called. He and Dad drove into town to get more ice, and had cell service, so we got to talk for just over two minutes. It was so good to hear his voice, to hear how excited he is and about how much fun he is having. He sounded so happy. I'm glad to know he's having such a good time, and is safe. I worry; my imagination runs away with itself. I got a little teary after we said, "I love you," and hung up; it made me miss him that much more.

Not a bad week so far. It's had ups and downs, but overall we're doing good.

Off to watch Dr. Horrible. Or Glee. I can't decide.

No comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com : PS Brushes by Obsidian Dawn